No-one could read Mr Wakeman's account of the Newgrange Mound or Cairn without retaining the impression that some great unchronicled history belongs to Ireland as to some of tiie lands of the East and to those of Central America. This mound, which lies four miles and a half from Drogheda, was opened in 1699 and found to contain a subterranean building of massive stones accessible through a narrow passage. It is in fact a little hill composed of a ruined edifice of a singular and primitive kind. A central chamber, on which the passage opens, is cruciform, and eighteen feet high; its sides and roof being composed of huge slabs, mostly covered with curious carving, representative rather of scrollwork than figures, and which evidently has been executed before the stones were put into their present situation. Two similar mounds, called the hills of Nowth and Dowth, exist near by; and in one of them an internal chamber of much the same form and style of decoration has recently been discovered, containing many half burnt bones of animals, some small shells, a pin of bronze, and two small iron knives. These curious structures with their many decorations are finely illustrated in Mr Wakeman's volume.
Taken from Chambers’s Edinburgh Journal, Volume IX, Nos. 209-234, Jan-June 1848, P.329
Creator and Curator,